Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Aru, My Niece

It's been a long time since I blogged.. I had a lot of things to write but I was never sure about it.. It's not as if those topics weren't interesting enough or I wouldn't have been able to express my feelings about them.. It’s just that it didn't look like the next blog post, I didn't feel right about it.. So I thought a lot and I kept thinking, kept searching for a topic.. I have been doing it for more than 2 years now and it was today morning that I saw this status of my sister on Facebook.

Madhumalti Sharma : My 4 year old daughter just made me cry...from her Christmas market at school, she picked up gifts for Dad (a book), Mom (moisturising lotion) and her brother (toy)...nothing for herself!

That four year old is Aru, my niece. :)

It’s amazing to see what a 4 year old child can think of, the things that they can imagine.. Today when I go out, I do make a point to pick up things for others while buying things for myself.. But on the other hand, that little girl picked up things for her family and nothing for herself.. She knows the real meaning of giving.. She is happy to give.. She was happy just to see a smile on the faces of her family.. She was happy because her family was happy.. All she wanted in return was her family’s happiness.. This noble thought came to the mind of a 4 year old girl..

The readers must have noticed that I have mentioned her age many times.. There is a reason why I’m emphasizing on it.. My readers are obviously a lot more older than her.. I myself am 19.. So I want to raise a question.. I asked myself and now I ask all of you.. How many times have we done something like this? Why are we so self-centered?? Have we not got a nice upbringing?? I know I have and I’m sure you all must have had a nice upbringing too.. What went wrong?? Today there’s a lot of competition, we have to be practical.. Nah.. It’s us that went wrong.. I learnt something from that 4 year old girl, Did you? ;-)

Think about it.

I’d like to end this blog post by saying that today I’m a proud a Mama (Uncle). And I’m proud of my sister and my Jijaji for the kind of upbringing they are giving to their children. God bless all of u! :)

Signing off,
A proud Mama ;)

P.S. : Someday in the future Aru will read this blog herself, and that day, she will proud of herself too.. :)


9 comments:

Varun Sharma said...

Shanky getting philosophical :). My 2 cents on philosophy (read as geek philosophy) - You should thank Facebook for providing your sister the medium to share her joy with all of us :D.

On a separate note - What is with the 2 dots?

Shashank said...

The 2 dots give continuity.. I prefer 2 over 3..
..:P

formeandforall said...

Hey,Shanky you are proud of Aru,we all are proud of her and I am also proud of you to appriciate good things in life and to share good thoughts with us keep up the good work,Shashank,my brother and Aru,my niece,hats off to both of you.Love you,God bless.

parth rastogi said...

An inspiring & enriching blog..very well appreciated..i must say ARU has got a great upbringing & she would be the most happiest person when she will read this blog..keep up the good work brada..looking forward to your blogs ;)

Anonymous said...

:)

Madhumalti Sharma said...

Very touching and thought provoking piece indeed...incredibly well written!Teaches me alot of things and raises more questions:

1. we can learn so many things from little acts of little ones.
2. i can be an inspiration...although Chinku would like to give all the credit to FB! am glad it prompted you to write...i encourage you to do it more often!
3. upbringing is indeed important and lays the foundation, but as you said, when you are 19...you are pretty much onto yourself to choose what you will/should do...so when does parenthood stop having an effect - as in when can i think my job as Mom is over?
4. Is 'not buying gifts for others' a sign of being self centered?
5. We like to be proud of the accomplishment of others...am glad you are a proud Mama! After all Mama is 2 Ma's!

Keep writing!!

Shashank said...

@formeandforall
I guess thats bhabhi.. So thanx alot for the appreciation.

@parth
thnx alot brother.. encouragement and compliments are always welcome.. ;-)

@milky
:)

@guttu didi
Thnx alot 4 ur lovely comments and d encouragement.. Wil try nd blog more frequently.. Regarding parenthood's effect, I think it never ends.. U always get to learn something from not just your parents but from everyone.. I learned something from your comments and like I said before, today i learned something from Aru.. As Parents are concerned, they are like role models, they are like your favourite hero-heroines that never change.. :D So buck up, your job as a mother is never gonna end.. Even as a sister, you have been a real inspiration.. So ur job never my dear.. ;)

Azel said...

A very cute post to begin with, because it makes me feel so proud of two of the little ones in our family, Aru and Shanky.

Children are a fascinating source of both inspiration and wonder, and true most of the credit goes to our parents. It is nice that you felt the way you did on seeing GD's update, and it is great that you thought of penning it down. Although I too would not completely agree about "not buying gift for others" implying being self centered, but I get the point.

Looking forward to reading much more. Happy Writing :)

P.S. : Another observation in addition to what CB said, and I too had noticed is that both your posts have been centered around the same age-group, first your nursery school and now Aru. Good thing i guess.:)

Shashank said...

Well when wrote about buying gifts for ourselves, it wasn't just about one incident.. I don't anyone expects their parents going on a tour and not bringing them any gifts.. That would be kinda selfish.. I am moved by what she did coz my Dad does that too.. Even when I had gone to Mumbai this year, I bought stuff for myself after I had bought things for others and I still had some money left.. So yes, I do think buying gifts JUST FOR YOURSELF/FIRST FOR YOURSELF implies giving yourself first priority which implies being self-centered..
Anyways, thanks for d comment.. And yea I'm looking forward to my next post too.. It might be related to some child again.. :P :D